"Father of the fatherless and protector of widows is God in His holy habitation. God settles the solitary in a home; He leads out the prisoners to prosperity, but the rebellious dwell in a parched land." Psalm 68:4-5

Thursday, January 10, 2013

I'm Reminded

As I held Sofia this morning on my lap, I was reminded of the miracle of adoption. I was reminded that just over a week ago she was an orphan. She had never said the word "Mamí" or "Papí." She didn't have a forever home. She didn't have a mommy to kiss her goodnight or a daddy to tickle her. She didn't have a sister to give her piggy-back rides and to play puppets with. She didn't have a family. Yet now, she is a beloved member of a family, just a week later. She has said "Mamí" and "Papí" enough times to make up for six years. She receives kisses from a mommy and tickles from daddy. She has a sister that is willing to carry her around everywhere. She has a family. I am reminded that she was well loved for her first six years at a wonderful ministry orphanage, but it wasn't a family. I am reminded that she has been prepared for a family since the day she entered the orphanage at a few months old. And, most of all, I am reminded of her sweet, innocent question, "Why aren't their parents here, too?" (You can read about her question here.) I am reminded of her statement, "My friends have to wait for their papas," and I nearly cry. I think about those left behind. Those that are patiently waiting for their families. I know them by name. I know their heartbreaking stories. I know them. I am reminded of them all, but two in particular. But I'm going to introduce just one of these girls to you today. Since I can't publicly post her name, I will refer to her as Miss A. 
Meet Miss A. 
I have been praying for Miss A before I even knew her name. Before I knew what orphanage she was living in. Before she transferred from her old orphanage to Sofia's orphanage this summer. Before I knew how old she was. Before I knew if she had any special needs. Before I knew that she herself was praying for a family. 
When I saw Miss A for the first time in person, we were dropping Sofia off at her room on the second day we were with her. Miss A saw Mamí and Papí swinging Sofia, and she clearly wanted that attention from some parents. So as Papí was hugging Sofia goodbye, Miss A grabbed my mom's and I's hand in hers and jumped softly, as if to ask us to swing her. We did, and she smiled. 
Miss A is shy. She always carries around a stuffed bear wrapped in a blanket. She likes to jump on the trampoline. She is eight years old but looks like she is five. She is very tiny. She possibly has some cognitive delays, but this also could just be an orphanage behavior. She is very sweet. Her glasses aren't quite as dorky as Sofia's. :) 
At Sofia's going-away party, Miss A loved to dance. She competed with Sofia as the most outgoing dancer.  Only music will take her away from her shy personality.
When Miss A saw the in-country adoption facilitator for Ecuadorian adoptions, she must have recognized her from previous going-away parties because she went right up to her and asked her a painful question. "When is my family coming for me?" I'm not sure of the answer she got, but I know it would be difficult to answer. I know my heart would break right in half if she asked me that. I know that I'd burst into tears. 
And then I am reminded of Sofia's question, "Why aren't their parents here, too? Why are they staying here?" Why aren't Miss A's parents here? Why is she staying at the orphanage? I know God hears Miss A's prayers. I know he hears her cries. "A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling." (Psalm 68:5 NIV). But I can't help but wonder if her family hears her cries. Please, please, I plead with you to pray with me for her family. She is praying, she is wondering, when her family will come. Her faith encourages me. She really, really is a special girl. 
"Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow." (Isaiah 1:17 NIV)
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." (James 1:27 NIV)
We are instructed in both the Old and New Testament numerous times to defend the orphan and widow. This is the real deal. We will be instructed to care for the orphan until the orphan population is wiped from the face of the earth. 
Miss A has lived in an orphanage her whole life. She has been available for adoption since she was very little. She has seen many of her friends adopted. She is trying to wait patiently for her turn. 
As you consider praying for Miss A, advocating for Miss A, and possibly making Miss A a treasured member of your family, I'm going to leave you with a powerful quote by Derek Loux. If you would like more information about Miss A, if you'd like to know her name, or if you'd like some photos and videos of her to pray over, you can email me at a.broaddus@hotmail.com. I have some very cute videos of her dancing! :)

"My friends, adoption is redemption. It's costly, exhausting, expensive, and outrageous. Buying back 
lives costs so much. When God set out to redeem us, it killed Him."

This verse is so convicting, because adoption is hard, but it is nothing compared to what God had to do to adopt us as His children. Adoption is beautiful. When a person adopts a child as their own, they show the love of God because He first adopted us.

Written by Allie.  

3 comments:

  1. Yes, reminders of when we were adopting our sweet little G. Part of my sorrow is that her needs are so great that we can only adopt one. One of the sweeties turned and talked with the Tia who interpreted," she said she wants to go home with Gs mami and Papi"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Allie,
    My husband and I just returned from a trip to Quito to visit his family. While there, we toured For His Children. We are hoping to adopt a child from Ecuador and would really love to talk to you about the process if you are willing. If you would be willing to talk with us, please email me.
    Thank you,
    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melinda,
      I would love to talk to you about Ecuadorian adoptions! Sofia lived at For His Children for the first six years of her life and we really love their ministry. What is your email? Or you can email me at a.broaddus@hotmail.com!
      God Bless,
      Allie

      Delete