"Father of the fatherless and protector of widows is God in His holy habitation. God settles the solitary in a home; He leads out the prisoners to prosperity, but the rebellious dwell in a parched land." Psalm 68:4-5

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thankful

The turkey is roasting in the kitchen. Potato casserole is in the fridge. Pies are in the oven. But this post isn't necessarily about Thanksgiving. This post is in honor of National Adoption Month, which is November. I've been meaning to post something on Facebook, but I just haven't had the words to say it in a limited amount of space. So, although I don't regularly post on this blog anymore, I have decided to share just a little bit about what adoption means to me as a big sister of two adopted children.
Me with my little "Santa." Sofia is obsessed with Santa,
and rarely leaves the house without a Santa hat. 

First off, being the big sister of two adopted children is hard. I used to think that adoption was almost like a fairytale. I believed in "instant-bonding" and that as soon as you adopted a child, there would be a "happily-ever-after" ending. However, soon after our first adoption was completed, I realized that the healing process for a traumatized child had just begun. The insecurities, trauma, and heartbreak that these children have endured still exists, and that often causes these children to have unusual behaviors. I also learned that (at least in my instance and most others that I have heard), instant bonding didn't happen. I have had to actually work to bond with my two adopted sisters, and it is hard. Sometimes it is really hard to look past their disturbing behaviors and see the child that they are created to be. But I am bonding, and because I have had to work for it, it has made my relationship with my two adopted sisters even more valuable.
This is Alison on her tenth birthday last spring. She has
 grown so much and I am so proud of her. 
Second, adoption is heartbreaking. I have witnessed the effects of heartache, confusion, and loss that comes with adopted children. Really, I had no idea. These children, even after they are adopted and given a sure future, still have doubts that this family is "forever." Just the thought of that is a tragedy. I can not imagine always questioning if this family, my family, will always mean "forever."

Third, adoption is redemption. When God adopted us, we were redeemed. We now have a hope. We now have a future. We now have a Father to cling to. The same thing happens when orphans are adopted. In most countries, if you are an orphan, you have a grim future. But when one is adopted into a family, they learn to trust their family, they learn about hope, and they discover what it means to have a family. And above it all, when adoption is done for God's glory, these children discover the love and faithfulness of their heavenly Father. I feel abundantly blessed that I have had the opportunity to witness a broken child slowly accept the love of both a family and their Father in heaven. Six months after Alison's adoption, she accepted Jesus as her Savior, and that was when the healing process really began.

Lastly, adoption is beautiful. Orphans becoming a treasured part of a family? That's beautiful. The healing process? That's beautiful. The hope? That's beautiful. Watching love fill in the broken pieces of their heart? That's beautiful. Knowing that someday, your sisters are going to proclaim victory over their loss? That. Is. Beautiful. Through the difficulties, the frustration, and the anger, I can still sit in awe of the beauty taking place in front of my eyes. Adoption can be so, so hard, but more than that, it is beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.
I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving! 
~Allie Broaddus





1 comment:

  1. Hi, my name is Amanda Banister, and I believe I helped take care of your Alison when she was a baby. I got to go to Quito, Ecuador in July, 2004 and work with the OSSO program working in orphanages. I was just thinking about my experience, and looking online at pics of Ecuador and orphanages, when I came across your blog. When I saw the picture of your Alison, I knew right away it was that adorable little 1 year old I got to help take care of 10 years ago! I couldn't believe it! It brought back such great memories and tears to my eyes! It is so great to see she has her own forever family now! I don't know if you have any pics of Alison as a baby, but I have several I could email to you if you would like. As a mother myself now, I know I would love any pics or info about my child. My email address is: amandabanister1821@gmail.com and you can feel free to even call me if you would like at (517)395-8751. I hope you don't mind me posting on your blog, but I felt like I really should. But if you don't want to contact me I also understand. I just want to thank you for posting this blog. It was amazing to get to see one of the babies I helped take care of for 3 months, now a beautiful girl, with a great family. So thanks! Amanda Banister

    ReplyDelete